Friday 23 November 2012

The Pandher Pauni encounter...

"There is just something spectacular about seeing wildlife in its natural environment that thrills us and helps us better understand the exotic cats in our care." - Arun Kejriwal
 

Tadoba has always been generous with sightings as far as I am concerned. Of course others have had the opportunity of seeing kills, chases etc, and all in good time before I capture similar events. But then I have extremely luck to capture some brilliant moments with my favourite Big Cat...The Tiger!

This was the summer of 2012, on the 1st weekend of April. Temperatures were soaring into the mid 40s, and for a tiger lover and spotter, this is bonanza time. Off I was with my group, the first vehicle into Tadoba. Having done some excellent ground work with my guide Raju, we knew we were in for a treat at Pandher Pauni. I have been chasing the 4 cubs and their mother for many months, but didn't end up with what I would have termed an excellent sighting.

But that morning, I knew with all the groundwork & homework being were we in for a special treat. Everyone one else were doing their rounds in the Moharli range at TATR, but I decided to head to Pandher Pauni, the main waterhole in the Tadoba range. We had waited for about 20 minutes, and then we started hearing the calls of Chital and Peacocks. After a bit, there was a Sambhar call. And when you head a Sambhar call, it most certainly is a Big Cat. And in seconds, we saw this semi adult come thru the grass, all camouflaged in the undergrowth. He walked into the waterhole had a drink, and looked back, knowing very well he was putting up a good show.






As luck would have it, he walked back in our direction, & came right up to where our gypsy was parked and settled down for about an hour. He was seated at about 15 feet away, looking curiously at all of us. I had a couple of first timers with me, who were very excited, and at the same time were slightly scared. Anyone would if they came face to face with A full grown Tiger at the distance we were at. And within no time, word spread and several other vehicles came and parked up. Of course no one had the vantage point like we did. But the amount of noise and chaos the other vehicles and visitors had created, the Tiger got disturbed and walked away. I ended up getting some fantastic pictures. And the best I had ever clicked!

No comments:

Post a Comment