Saturday 24 November 2012

At home...In God's Own Country...Kerala Unlimited!!!



"Nature is the art of God." - Thomas Browne
 


Kerala..."God's Own Country"...One can go on and on about what a beautiful place it is! The long weekend of Independence Day, August 2012, wondering where to head as I packed my war gear, I reckoned that Wayanad may be just the right place to go...a rain holiday, which I hadn't ever done! And off I went!

It was quite a dull drive knowing what to expect as I exited Bangalore and got onto the Mysore highway. Running against time, lest I be forced to stop at the Bandipur checkpost, I hurriedly went past Mysore. Beautiful Marigold caught my eye, and I stopped to take a few pictures! And then went on my way. Having gone past the check post, I slowed down considerably as was needed driving in a reserve forest. And within minutes, I saw a small herd of elephants, foraging in the sugarcane fields. I stopped to take a few pictures, and then quickly headed on, not wanting to disturb the peace and make their presence known to other tourists, who can get unruly.




I managed to find a place to stay, an absolute treat...a coffee and tea estate spread over 500 acres! I had the entire place to myself, and loved the peace and quiet. It rained incessantly, all day, and sipping hot coffee/tea all day long was an absolute treat. I tried my hand at rain photography and got some satisfying pictures. Having rested an entire day, I had breakfast and headed off to Kalpetta, to experience the beauty of driving up Chembra Peak, with a height of 2100 metres. The drive up was awesome, winding narrow roads, peaks all around, uphill and downhill, before I reached the highest point and got off the Aria.  If only words could describe the beauty of what I saw. I stayed there for an hour enjoying the show nature was putting up! And reluctantly I got into the car, and headed to the next location, Soochipara falls! I stopped a few times to capture some stunning images of the hills & low cloud around Wayanad.















With lush greenery around me,  the welcome rain, the outstanding ambience Wayanad offered and some old melodies playing I headed my way towards Soochipara waterfalls. I stopped a few times to capture the wonderful surroundings. With mist & low cloud all around, I had to capture the moment, so I did, setting up the tripod and getting a few good shots using the camera's timer.









Having reached Soochipara, the biggest mistake I made was taking my camera back pack with me, full of all my usual travel war gear - walkie talkies, speakers, laptop and what not! I paid the price of carrying it and sweating my way down! I ended up getting a few nice captures, but none with slow shutter speed, as I didn't know the trick to do so.As I started my ascent, the backpack was wearing down on me, and by the time I reached the summit, I was completely destroyed and obliterated. Nevertheless, it worked up an fantastic appetite, and after an hour's drive back to my rendezvous, I had a fantastic meal - rice, dal, prawns and potato fry!!! And after a good day's rest, I got going on my return to Bangalore, swearing to myself that Wayanad will remain my top 3 location to visit again! And I look forward to heading there again soon!

I only feel it apt by stating this quote as this blog ends!!!



"The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is, to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone, with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and, that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature.  I firmly believe that nature brings solace in all troubles..."Anne Frank





No comments:

Post a Comment